Friday, October 06, 2006

JJA - #1

Jeremy Joins the Army. - Episode 1

I was the type of kid who like to do ... nothing. Really. My idea of the perfect day was lounging around doing nothing. If you consider playing computer games and dissecting small forest fauna nothing, then you'd get a pretty good idea of what I spent my time on. So, you can imagine everyone's surprise when I announced out of the blue that I was going to join the military. This was the summer between my Junior and Senior year of high school. Somehow, I was smart enough to know that I would not have done well in college right out of high school. And, since I despised doing anything that I did not want to do, as evidenced by my A in German and F in Calculus, I thought I would go to the place where I would learn how to do one that I wanted to do...learn a language. My sister's friend had joined the Army language corps a year or 2 prior to my decision. That is what gave me the idea of joining the Army to learn a language. Everyone that I told at school laughed at me because I could barely do 10 pushups, and I ran the mile in just under 12 minutes.

Next stop...the recruitment process.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I love that picture Quasimodo!

Anonymous said...

Remember this? "Take that idea, open the door of your mind, and let it go far away" or something like that. In that 'voice'.
Also, did I had friends in the Army? I thought I remembered everything!

GDS said...

Although, not an extremely close friend at the time, I raise my hand as one person that was shocked at your decision to join the military. I remember watching you wincing in pain somewhere aroud 6 push-ups.

That being said - I have a great deal of respect for you now, particilarly since you followed up your military career by enrolling at a pretigious Lancaster are a institution of higher learning.

Jeremy said...

BTW, I took off the comment moderating. That looks like that could become real annoying real fast.