Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Windows Annoyances - Useless dialog boxes

Whenever you try to open a file that does not have a program associated with the extension of the file, this dialog pops up.




The default option is to "Use the Web Service" to help you out. Has anyone ever actually used this Web Service? Well, today was my lucky day. I wanted to find out what would happen.



When I hit OK, it directed me to this web page:





Now, this is telling me "I have no clue what your file is." No duh, you told me that on the other dialog box. Now, look at the options that this gives me.
It's telling me to go to yet another website, which (I'm sure) will still not tell me what to do with my stinkin' file.
Better yet, one of the suggestions is "UK Technical support".
HUH??!?!
If I were a novice user, and I were presented with this page, I would be more confused than ever.

In general, the only program I use to open unrecognized file types is Notepad.
I'm sure there is no way to set that as my default, and Microsoft forces me to go through a completely meaningless step to do what I want to.

2 comments:

GDS said...

Object variable or with block not set.

Jeremy said...

Ah yes, the infamous object variable or with block. That one even confuses programmers!